1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why are Finns the best navigators, or are they really?

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by softboober, Oct 11, 2017.

1. softboober

softboober Active Member

Do Finns really navigate better than all the rest of the nations? I have just read Evolutionistx's recent blog post on a ranked list of the spatial navigation ability of people. The test that involved more than 2.5 million people has been done with the help of some purpose-developed computer games. And it says the 5 distinct clusters they got for results depend on both the wealth of those people (GDP per capita), as well as on gender inequalities (Gender Gap Index). :eek:

[​IMG]

Is that really the reason behind these findings? And where are all the African countries (except South Africa)?

You can check out the full study here.

ListenNighGlint and Ruryse like this.
  2. Ruryse

Ruryse Active Member

It says 5 geographically related clusters, then puts countries like Australia, Finland, the Netherlands and Canada together. lol Why? And it suggests that nations with lower gender gap perform better. With that, it actually advocates the domestication we discussed in the bonobo thread. The same domestication effect that had clear signs of lowering intelligence. Great find; interesting, and I'm not convinced.

3. ListenNighGlint

ListenNighGlint Active Member

Isn't it just the obvious thing of how a snowy environment forces people to evolve their navigation skills? Netherlands... hmm. :)

Ruryse likes this.
  4. Ruryse

Ruryse Active Member

That's why it would be great to see Africans, too. I bet the Sahara countries would perform well.