1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is intuition?!

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by ListenNighGlint, Sep 30, 2016.

1. ListenNighGlint

ListenNighGlint Active Member Staff Member

I was thinking, can I really define intuition? I couldn't. What is it? What makes me (or you, or him or her) feel that something is good or bad, that they need to do something or not to go there, or to go there, etc. All those kind of things. Really, what is this thing we call intuition?

intuition-einstein.png

Ruryse and MermaidFairy like this.
  2. MermaidFairy

MermaidFairy Member

I don't have an accurate answer for it's been something I wonder about myself. To add more questions, what determines why some people have it and others don't? Great question ListenNighGlint!

Ruryse and ListenNighGlint like this.
  3. ListenNighGlint

Are there people who don't have it at all? Like none? Or they just don't listen to it as much? I wouldn't know cause I always had it... even if I didn't believe it. Hehe. :D

Ruryse likes this.
  4. crypticletter

crypticletter Member

intuition
    ɪntjʊˈɪʃ(ə)n/
    noun
    1. the ability to understand something instinctively, without the need for conscious reasoning.
      • a thing that one knows or considers likely from instinctive feeling rather than conscious reasoning.

MermaidFairy and Ruryse like this.
  5. Ruryse

Ruryse Active Member Staff Member

If I had to put it in words, intuition was using knowledge on the fly. It's the application of what has already been learned; a meaningful arrangement of the observed events, without including the step of conscious thinking.

MermaidFairy likes this.
  6. Ruryse

Not only because of the kind of discussion board we're on, but my answer is: intelligence. :)

MermaidFairy likes this.
  7. andersonnnunes

andersonnnunes Active Member

(Continuing this.)

Is that knowledge rooted on your consciously integrated worldview which now dominates your subconscious? If yes, then Rand would not say it is "non-identifiable" (as I interpret).

8. Ruryse

It's more like the consciously integrated worldview is the result of that knowledge, and by that knowledge, I mean observations, often gathered sub-consciously. I guess it's what @fschmidt would simply call inductive reasoning.

9. andersonnnunes

andersonnnunes Active Member

It is not a problem if they are gathered sub-consciously, as long as they are integrated; the problem is when they are accepted at face value with disregard for the already existing worldview.

10. fschmidt

fschmidt Active Member

Why do you want to define it? Just let your understanding of intuition be intuitive.

ListenNighGlint likes this.
  11. ListenNighGlint

I know! It's a silly thing of mine. :) I like to define things so they can disappear... so I can forget the meaning and be more in sync with the thing itself. So it's no longer this dry and proper definition I visualize as a page in a book. :)

12. Ruryse

Here's Tilmann Betsch's definition, which I tend to agree with:

tillman-betsch-intuition.jpg

As opposed to the currently more mainstream heuristic approach, for example what Gerd Gigerenzer advocates:

I actually wouldn't be surprised if different kind of people used different kind of intuition as well, like the above two kinds. The first kind uses parallel processing of learned information, sub-consciously. The second one is a more logical and rational way of thinking, using serial processing.