1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is emotional depth in a person and where does it come from?

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by ListenNighGlint, Sep 4, 2017.

1. ListenNighGlint

ListenNighGlint Active Member

I've been thinking about how some people have an emotional depth while others have less or none... I wonder why we are so different? :eek: Some have so much of it, so there's a sense of communication, a mutual understanding. Others are scratching the surface, and there are ones that can't connect with others this way at all. I mean all things including romance, joy and sadness, humor.

And I was thinking of how g factor was supposed to include all of it, not just the cold facts and calculation speed and so on... cause some people can be so good at those things, and they all correlate with each other, and yet they can be so empty when it comes to emotions. I guess this is why they came up with emotional intelligence, but isn't it imperfect to handle the two separately? Can't we just have one scale for it all? :) Isn't intelligence a faulty, incomplete attempt to describe the "goodness" of a person, if it can't predict and measure how developed they are emotionally?

softboober likes this.
  2. fschmidt

fschmidt Active Member

What? I can't even imagine this. Emotional depth is just a place of isolation. I know that some others have it based on books and music, but it is so rare that I consider it completely unrealistic to encounter another person with emotional depth in real life.

Trying to describe emotional depth is futile. Just forget it.

ListenNighGlint and softboober like this.
  3. Ruryse

Ruryse Active Member

Whose emotional depth? When you talk about traits like that, you necessarily think and talk about your own version of it. The way you perceive and live it and the way you know it. And so it's up to you to either make comparisons to yours, or accept that you might be different from others, and thus it's impossible to measure in a truly objective way. General intelligence is a concept based on such comparison as well. Concepts like these always assume a relatively high level of similarity, so a comparison is at least possible. The greater this similarity to you, the greater emotional depth you're going to perceive in another person.

ListenNighGlint and softboober like this.
  4. softboober

softboober Active Member

Yes. :p The trait we measure with "Openness to Experience" is connected with emotion regulation ability of EI, if the person has mid to high Openness. What they say about how it works in conjunction with passion and persistence seems legit to me. And these kind of people are...

...about that rare. :)

ListenNighGlint likes this.
  5. ListenNighGlint

You guys aren't painting an idyllic picture... :)

Maybe I should just accept that whoever I can connect with on an emotional level is a gift.

6. Reewier

Reewier Member

There were attempts to describe a person with one single personality trait, called the Big One or General Factor of Personality. It didn't work, because different environments and variance in evolutionary pressure result in different demands and preferences.

7. andersonnnunes

andersonnnunes Active Member

Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?

8. ListenNighGlint

I want to see that garden... it's lonely here at the bottom. :)

9. ListenNighGlint

Why do emotions and intellect go together so rarely?! Why do they have to compete for the top, one of them defeating the other? :confused:

Ruryse likes this.
  10. Ruryse

Ruryse Active Member

It's another sign of the difference between fluid and crystallized intelligence, or creativity and sheer computational power, or if you want to call them that way, divergent and convergent thinking. Emotional intelligence is usually part of the former kind of thinking style and personality, and in most cases, it sacrifices some of that computational power.

11. ListenNighGlint

But... why?! :) Why can't the two kinds develop together? Did evolution require people to be one kind or the other, but never the same?

12. Ruryse

Ruryse Active Member

Evolution didn't do a thing. People did. Chasing rational answers, there's often a wall one runs into. Ultimately, there's no point to anything.