1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What do you consider to be intelligent? What kind of fucking traits?

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by Ruryse, Dec 9, 2016.

1. Reewier

Reewier Member

I often wonder about that, too. The "attractiveness range", I mean. :) What traits are personal preferences, and what traits are relatively generally preferred. Having such education is usually a good sign of above average intelligence, just not sure how far above can it reach before we get to the "odd figures".

Ruryse likes this.
  2. crypticletter

crypticletter Member

They can fucking type like it came from a bloody, old fashioned, proper book. NO stupid abbreviations, NO mile long ellipses, NO unnecessary spaces.

Ruryse likes this.
  3. Ruryse

Ruryse Active Member Staff Member

No kidding! And on the influence-side of things, since people read less and less properly edited books and papers, they don't have much of a chance to see correct grammar.

4. softboober

softboober Active Member

Divergent thinking ceases to stop when there are seemingly no options left. Instead, it starts looking for new ways to solve a problem. How is that not digging deep? o_O

What Type of Thinker Are You?

EDIT: Further findings regarding divergent thinking/creativity vs. intelligence in this post.

Last edited: May 6, 2017
    Daniel Delion and Ruryse like this.
  5. softboober

softboober Active Member

lol Anyone got on your nerves lately, man? :p

6. Imad K

Imad K New Member

Etymologically, "intelligence" means: "to understand, comprehend, come to know". The Universe is a very complex entity. It is merely not a chair..!... The traits of a lesser intelligent being is to understand what a chair is. What it is comprised of. What its purpose is. The traits of a more intelligent being is to understand the most things about everything in the Universe. The traits of the most intelligent being is to do this with simplicity, ease and elegance. But very simply put it boils down to finding patterns and making connections...after all this is what our brain is made of: growing and adaptable connections of neurons.

Ruryse likes this.
  7. Ruryse

Who perceives it to be complex? Would it be complex (or anything else) without an observer?

Doesn't it assume though, that the one who evaluates people by such guidelines must be someone above all of them intelligence wise (at least by his/her own subjective standards), or at least on the level of what he perceives to be the most intelligent?

8. Imad K

Imad K New Member

This is a legitimate and great question to me, and also assumes that the Universe may be holographic or virtual in nature. The problem to me is that such claims have to also refute (or take into account) evidence what science has gathered over the past. I'm talking specifically about neuroscientific evidence. There's (sadly?) no escape to the fact that we have brains -- and that our brains are made of parts that are specialized in abstract things and parts that are specialized in animalistic things (the neocortex being the part for the abstract things.). If this is accepted as a premise, then we can only accept that we are the observers and that the universe is complex (because if it wasn't then a brain would not exist, and our premise is refuted). This opens up the questions of exobiology and the theory of evolution for e.g.

Yes, but how does this add to the forum-question or contradict the answer? Well I didn't mean to use italics. But i will answer your question in two folds: 1-my answer comes from experience in the world, having seen stupid people, smart people, and geniuses. The latter ones are the most intelligent and they often use simple and beautiful yet powerful "creations" in order to solve (read "understand") mysteries in this world / Universe. 2- Conceptually speaking, wouldn't solving a problem in one line, one second, or any other unit that you wish, be a sign of more intelligence than solving the same problem in more such units? What do you think?

9. Ruryse

Can you assume things like holography, Universe or virtuality without existing?

In a rather nonchalant manner. Or any other way you want to imagine.

Does it require a genius to recognize other geniuses?

Solving a problem quickly for survival is beneficial for the surviving individual. Solving the unsolvable quickly only proves imaginary things. Who decides what's worth solving, and how much time it has to take?

10. softboober

softboober Active Member

What are these things, and why not the entire universe? :eek:

11. Imad K

Imad K New Member

Well it's just part of a figure of speech, all is even better!...but when you understand everything about the Universe, the fun is gone...or maybe not^^

softboober likes this.
  12. Imad K

Imad K New Member

No -- Obviously you have to exist. However, you may exist as a non-physical entity and still assume that and other things.

That's an interesting self-recurrence!

Cool! :)

Definitely. I can only recognize something familiar to me. I can guess or imagine otherwise...

Nice -- Thank You. Regarding the question of who decides what's worth solving, and how much time it has to take -- I guess intelligent persons ;P

Ruryse likes this.
  13. Ruryse

What would be an example of such an existing non-physical entity?

That's what I was getting at, too. If a person's level of intelligence is significantly above the observer's level, the observer will fail to recognize them as familiar. So if we take someone who's a genius by some previously established standard, how will this person be able to judge whether another person is simply someone of lower intelligence, or an even more advanced genius? There were hints to such possibilities regarding differences between humans and alien civilizations here. I thought it was an interesting idea, cause it reminded me of what they call the "communication range".

You mean the most intelligent ones out of any given group of people? Or if there's no one there above a certain level of intelligence, there won't be such decisions made anymore?

14. Hailey

Hailey Member

High intelligence is a set of traits which are the cause of more advanced cognitive function rather than low or average cognitive function. Some of these traits include memory, noticing patterns, spacial awareness, reasoning ability, creative inventiveness and much more.

An iq test does not give a sufficient indicator of a single persons intelligence necessarily, but it can give an indication of a groups intelligence. This is because it tests for traits that high is individuals are more likely to have then low iq individuals. Lots of geniouses will be left undiscovered relying on these tests even though they show a average in a group. For instance, if I were a genious with dyscalculia, to rely on a math based iq test to determine my intellegence, the results would be misleading. Likewise were I a genious who could not read the test due to reading disability, it would be misleading, And if I were blind any written test would be misleading. Geniuses have a higher instance then learning disabilities then average intelligence people. Twice exceptional.

I myself only score above average on online iq tests that are math based. I have dyscalculia, with a math ability of second grade level. If you base my iq on my actual intellectual achievements, however the numbers are quite different, putting me at 160 iq.

These days, intelligence is considered by the masses nothing more then memorizing dates, facts and names. In truth, intelligence is more divergent then this. It is discovering new facts, contemplating new ideas and creating new systems. It's this sort of creative thinking that is extremely rare. Intelligence has nothing to do with multiple choice. It has to do with having the information and finding the answer dispite everyone else picking a multiple choice.

Average people have no problem claiming to know the scientific method or any rational method of truth, but few actually apply it to their lives. This is very telling because it shows that people only say they know it because they have been taught that it is true, for if they truly believed it wouldn't they apply this rational thought to their thinking in their day to day lives? I could give examples here but in general, I'm talking about the bazillion lies people walk around claiming to know the truth of because Some one said so. It's absurd. An intellegent person is the person who had an actual reason for why it is so. Even if they are incorrect, they used their ability to the best of their ability to come to their conclusion.

Intellegent people have this inate quality to them... One of pure curiosity that can not be quenched until they have found all the answers. So basically it an insatiable curiosity. These curious people stand out like an elephant in a room amongst those who simply accept and don't think.

It's incredibly easy to tell if someone is intellegent most of the time by these things and a few other things. Of course there are different types of intelligence but as far as cognitive genious goes.

softboober likes this.
  15. Ruryse

Try Raven's Progressive Matrices or tests based on it.

Hailey likes this.
  16. softboober

softboober Active Member

I should find this fun first, so I can see it go. :p

17. softboober

softboober Active Member

We had a thread here coming to a conclusion that there were (at least) two kinds of intelligent people, thanks to certain thresholds and different personalities. These two kinds of people stem from two kinds of creativities, the scientific one and the artistic one.

I couldn't help but notice your misspellings, in spite of your coherent and focused writing style, do you also happen to have dyslexia? Do you know about having either Asperger's or Tourette's?

18. Hailey

Hailey Member

Not that I know of but it's possible. I see some errors now. Some times I type wrong things on my phone but depending on how many words and which word, there could be something else going on. :/

softboober and Ruryse like this.
  19. Ruryse

What color would you associate this "something else" with?

20. Hailey

Hailey Member

With that particular word, it happened completely out of my awareness even though I know that word. That particular word could not have come from a typing error. I do write down numbers incorrectly and out of order, but that happens to a greater extent then a single word and I doubt it's related. I have never had any one point out a misspelled word from me. I'm shocked that it happened and I have no clue how often it happens. It's also possible I'm bad at spelling which would be mind boggling for that to be the case and only realize at 26 years of age. If it's true, I can have further reason to fear reincarnation, which is more likely based on intellegence rather then morals.

Holy shit I did it again. See the line above.