1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Lifeboat Game (Morality Test)

Discussion in 'Other' started by andersonnnunes, Aug 7, 2017.

Tags:
  1. andersonnnunes

andersonnnunes Active Member

There's this passenger liner sailing from Britain to Australia (a nice long cruise). Halfway through the journey it sinks. During the panic and chaos of the sinking process you regain consciousness on some remaining debris with 15 other people. A lifeboat floats up to you all, but it can only support 10 people. Since you found the lifeboat you get to decide the 9 other people who will join you.

1) A Doctor, GP, who has an addiction to drugs and is very nervous (Male/60 years old)
    2) A black Protestant Minister, (Male/27 years old)
    3) A prostitute, but is an excellent nurse, she has already saved a drowning child and put him on another lifeboat (Female/37 years old)
    4) A criminal. Charged with murder and can navigate the boat. (Male/37)
    5) A mentally disturbed man, who carries important government secrets in his head (Male/41)
    6) A law-abiding salesman. He sells automatic washing machines and is also a member of the Rotary Club. (Male/51)
    7) A crippled boy, paralyzed since birth. He cannot use his hands and is dependent on others. (Male/8)
    8) A housewife with two children at home (Female/23)
    9) A Jewish restaurant owner, married with 3 children at home. (Male/40)
    10) A Teacher considered one of the best in England. (Female/32)
    11) A Catholic Nun, supervisor of a girl's school. (Female/46)
    12) An unemployed man, formally a professor of literature. He has a great sense of humor and is a decorated soldier for his contribution in the last war and was in a concentration camp for 3 years. (Male/53)
    13) An Irish man studying to be a pharmacist. (Male/23) And is married to...
    14) An Irish woman, studying to be a nursery teacher. (Female/22)
    15) An American, he is also a neo-nazi and thus hates the Jew. However he has a large box of food which he will throw into the sea unless he goes into the lifeboat. (Male/20)

Rules
    • 6 of the above must die. Just pick 6 and then justify your options.
    • Don't attempt to find holes in the hypothetical situation (e.g "Who would want to go to Australia?")
    • Whether you eventually arrive at a desert island or a civilized land is purely chance. Thus, you should prepare you choices for both outcomes.
    (source)

ListenNighGlint likes this.
  2. andersonnnunes

The underlying question is: would you rather do business with someone who is good/moral and not so efficient or with someone amoral/immoral and comparatively more efficient?

3. Ruryse

Ruryse Active Member

Do you think it really tests morality?

4. andersonnnunes

Not directly. Do lie detectors really test for truth?

5. Ruryse

Ruryse Active Member

They test for lies, hence their name.

6. andersonnnunes

Do they? Never saw one in action.

7. Ruryse

Ruryse Active Member

They monitor physiological functions, to indicate whether a person knows/believes something differently from what they try to communicate.

The test you posted seems to be a crude way to check for someone's empathy as well. It assumes that a person can be judged by a couple facts listed about them. But those facts don't allow me to know these people to a considerable depth.

Going by the presented rules, I would take the child and 9 more people who I subjectively find to have the best sense of humor.

8. andersonnnunes

And this test does not end here, it is just the beginning, more observation has to follow to decide if an answer holds or is just talk.

So is life, most of the time.

Why not give up your seat to save one more?

9. Ruryse

Ruryse Active Member

The above test is part of life as well, after all.

I'm among the 9 people who I subjectively find to have the best sense of humor.

10. andersonnnunes

And if there is a tie?

11. Ruryse

Ruryse Active Member

The dress code has already sunk.

andersonnnunes likes this.
  12. ListenNighGlint

ListenNighGlint Active Member

My more or less rational picks:

Safety first! :) I had to take 9 of them, right?

My not so rational picks:

This latter has been created with the help of this random number generator... because I have no idea who these people are for real. :)

13. andersonnnunes

Would you choose these methods if instead the game were "Escape from Earth's Destruction on a Spaceship, Humanity's Last Hope of Survival"?

14. ListenNighGlint

Oh? If it's that, I'd just send out the empty spaceship. Mission accomplished. :)

15. andersonnnunes

Ding, ding, ding. You have won a prize: Cards Against Humanity.

ListenNighGlint likes this.
  16. ListenNighGlint

Haha, give ourselves hell, Lord, and a sturdy middle finger. :)

17. andersonnnunes

A. “My Lord, you really don’t have to worry about that at all. No large-scale flight of humanity will ever happen.”
    B. Even given the present, limited space for technological development, humanity might be able to build generation ships.
    A. “The greatest obstacle to flight is not technology.”
    B. Then is it disputes among countries? This UN special session may resolve that problem, and if it can’t, then developed countries are entirely capable of brushing aside the opposition of developing countries and forcing a plan through.
    A. “The greatest obstacle to flight is not disputes among countries, either.”
    B. Then what is it?
    A. “Disputes among people. The question of who goes and who stays behind.”
    B. That doesn’t seem like a problem to us.
    A. “We thought so at first, but it turns out to be an insurmountable obstacle.”
    B. Can you explain?
    A. “You may be familiar with human history, but you will probably find this hard to comprehend: Who goes and who remains involves basic human values, values which in the past promoted progress in human society, but which, in the face of ultimate disaster, are a trap. Right now, the majority of humanity has not realized how deep this trap is. Lord, please believe my words. No human can escape this trap.”

-- The Dark Forest, by Cixin Liu

Ruryse likes this.
  18. Ruryse

Ruryse Active Member

Sure. I stick to my tricks, for now. Until the next batch of humanity arrives, I guess.

19. Ruryse

Ruryse Active Member

Ah good, another book to put on the "want to read" list.

20. andersonnnunes

Oh, no... if only I had put an affiliate link, maybe I would have earned some cents - or more if you were to buy the book.

I did try once to register as an affiliate on Amazon, but they make it a lot more complicated than necessary. Not worthy for me, given the low volume of clicks I can attract right now.

Ruryse likes this.