1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Survival in Extreme Temperatures - Which is Deadlier, Hot or Cold?

Discussion in 'Nature' started by Ruryse, Aug 22, 2016.

1. Ruryse

Ruryse Active Member Staff Member

Is it easier to survive in extreme cold or extreme heat?

If we are talking relatively, deserts still have a rather rich flora and fauna, but hard to get water. Extremely cold areas are very scarce on food. On the other hand, heat is hard on the system in a quicker way. The brain overheats easily, you can get a stroke, and dehydration happens fast, too. Deadly. In extreme cold, you have to put on layers after layers to be able to function, by conserving your own body heat. In the heat, you can get naked, and you can try to cool yourself. Beyond that point, there's not much you can do.

extreme-heat-extreme-cold-survival.jpg

That being said, according to this study, while temperature-mortality is surprisingly low, the cold wins out being the deadlier one out of the two: Mortality risk attributable to high and low ambient temperature: a multicountry observational study

Post your opinion!

softboober likes this.
  2. MermaidFairy

MermaidFairy Member

Personally, I would rather freeze than cook.

softboober likes this.
  3. Daniel Delion

Daniel Delion Member

I, too, hate the chore of cooking.

MermaidFairy likes this.
  4. softboober

softboober Active Member

I was thinking, more people cuddling and rubbing against each other would be able to survive the cold, but not the heat.

Reewier and MermaidFairy like this.
  5. MermaidFairy

MermaidFairy Member

Ha! It does not surprise me that, that's what you were thinking lol. Oh booby, you crack me up, lol.

6. Reewier

Reewier Member

I love your way of thinking man. We need more of what you have in your avatar.

7. Ruryse

Ruryse Active Member Staff Member

Think of the traditionally available vitamin sources, and you'll realize how much easier it is to get most of them in warmer climates. Take vitamin C for example. Without modern trade, one could only get the required vitamin C from animal sources like muktuk. Having to hunt animals like gigantic whales is significantly more difficult than chewing on a couple of leaves or grabbing some fruits that are available year long.