1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Smear is the essence of art and other things

Discussion in 'Art, Music, Entertainment' started by ListenNighGlint, Oct 28, 2017.

1. ListenNighGlint

ListenNighGlint Active Member Staff Member

Have you noticed how smear helps creating art...? In all kinds of art, there's a kind of inertia or smoothness... for example the way clay behaves, so you can't have a very sharp edge. And in painting, the materials do that again, the way the pigments run into each other ever so slightly, or how you can only get a limited sharpness with your brushes or palette knives. Or in photography, where chemicals behave that way, or the way photo sensors behave... or the way you can only have light with that much contrast. And in music, subtle features like distortions and echo or reverberation create smear. But even the reaction of electronic components do that, they have a given reaction time... don't laugh, I just read about slew rate! :)

pottery-round-edges.jpg soft-light-face-photo.jpg

But it doesn't have to be art in the strictest sense. When driving cars, you can't instantly turn from one direction to the other, there's a certain smoothness, a reaction time, a transition between states... And this ever present smear washes things together and results in a smooth product, it encourages the mind to find meaning in the undefinitely presented, smeared information, instead of showing things directly. In the end, the mind creates art. :)

I was thinking, we are going towards less and less smear, things are getting clearer and losing smoothness... is this because our minds are getting quicker? Or it's just the minds of the inventors, and the rest of the people can't follow it? What is the natural smear of things that makes you feel "ah it's good, this is the right amount"? :)

softboober and Ruryse like this.
  2. andersonnnunes

andersonnnunes Active Member

In geometry class we learn that the shortest path from A to B is a line.

Einstein said something like "gravity distorts space-time".

We all have objectives and sometimes we tend to think that the shortest way to fulfill them is by going head-on, as if following a straight line, but after living some time, I now think that the shortest path sometimes feels more like a curve.

Einstein talked about physical phenomena, but my guess is that something similar applies to the "hologram" projected by it.

(I am using words in a loose sense, not following precise definitions.)

3. Ruryse

Ruryse Active Member Staff Member

You guys can be very inspiring when you're "on".

I think it's mostly the latter, but it's not that the rest of the people can't follow it, or not in all cases. It's more like the "inventors", how you called them, create things that actually help the majority of people who on the other hand keep getting dumber and dumber, on average. A clearer, sharper image, a more accurate reproduction of audio sources mean that average people's brains have to work less to get the information presented. Think of how it went from books to film and audio books (I'm oversimplifying it, but you get the idea). Our minds, at least on average, are getting slower. We now need all the technology we have, and we rely on it. Our intelligence went from the inside of us into the technology we use.

But there's also the other aspect, when being presented with quick information means you have to have a quick mind to be able to follow it. So, looking at it that way, only the minds of certain people can triumph this "competition". Think of video games, real world battles (especially aerial) or auto racing, where there's arguably a greater and greater pressure put on the brain, as far as sheer reaction time and calculation speed go.

I think it depends on the context just as much as it depends on the actual state of the mind. Sometimes we need something quick and challenging, other times we want the smoothness and softness of something else, even when it comes to art and/or information.

It's a very interesting way to say it, and shows lots of wisdom. Most of the time, I want something as quick and as simple as I can get it, then "the thing that is not me", we can call it nature, presents me with the real path to it, which is the only existing path in any given time (regardless of all the theoretical possibilities), and then I finally get the desired thing. In hindsight, it was not the quickest nor the simplest possible path, so what I see is the curve you've described.

What I find especially intriguing is our built-in projection of "perfect" things, for example that ideal dead straight path between desire and acquisition, or things like geometry, or anything that's perfect from a human point of view, yet it only exists that way in our imagination. What's also interesting about it is, how recognizably different it is from (the rest of) nature, so we can instantly recognize something that has human origins.

ListenNighGlint likes this.
  4. ListenNighGlint

Do you think it's gravity that causes the "softening" effect in the world? Is it the only force causing it...?

I like this... but does this mean you don't like curves by default, you just end up with them? :)

I always have problems with generalizations like that... but ok. And why inventors, if they are so much above the average masses, would want to create something that they don't enjoy and don't care for themselves...? Assuming that they are the kind of people who comprehend and prefer things in the most natural way. Wouldn't their goal be to make the natural way of things more available, or even try to enhance it? Why would they care so much for the average people that they put all their effort to spoon feed them? :eek:

Ok but it's getting far from art... it's more like sports. Art in its truest sense doesn't require a competitive nature or a display of someone's set of quickness skills... :) Maybe if you had said striving for aesthetic complexity, but without the show offy part...

5. andersonnnunes

andersonnnunes Active Member

The student searches the world for meaning. The master finds worlds of meaning in the search.

I am not attracted to ducks, so, in a way, yes, I don't like curves.

I am able to enjoy following along a Rube Goldberg machine/situation, depending on the context, sometimes.

6. ListenNighGlint

Student and master aren't designed to be opposites in that saying... given by only that much information, they could as well be the same person. :)

How about camels...?

[​IMG]
    :eek: Who or what enables you to enjoy it?

7. Ruryse

It's the process of creation they enjoy in such cases.

For some of them, it is a goal, only very few people will be interested, so most of the time an idea like that won't be marketed.

Out of being naive and thinking they actually help them and humanity.

These things get pretty hard to distinguish among real people. When there's the usual amount of ego involved, art (and most everything else) becomes competition.

8. ListenNighGlint

Hmm... I guess the few people that are interested in it will have to make it themselves then. I saw people making their own tools when they couldn't possibly purchase the kind they needed. It reminds me of how humans in early ages survived with making things on their own... I can see how intelligence had priority when you couldn't buy things in a store.

I can't see how a person like that be so naive... it's just not the kind of naivety I associate the inventive person with.

But then it's getting less and less art... :)

Ruryse likes this.
  9. softboober

softboober Active Member

Ya I get what you're saying, but do you really think we have control over this? Isn't it innate to nature to have this smoothness in things? What we are able to control can only go up to the limits of the existing, natural smoothness, but never past that.

Ruryse and ListenNighGlint like this.
  10. ListenNighGlint

Don't forget that we are part of nature, too! Our limits are nature's limits... if we change, nature changes with us.

softboober and Ruryse like this.
  11. Ruryse

Either that, or survived by theft, robbery and murder.

Fair enough. It can take some time to realize not everyone is like the person who prefers to avoid people by default anyway. But I get you, even such people will often be aware of how different they are, right from early childhood.

Unless someone calls it art. From then on, it's art, at least for some time.

12. ListenNighGlint

They can only steal what's been created... and killing the creators is not the smartest thing.

13. Ruryse

It suits the less-than-smartest.

14. ListenNighGlint

Just like being creative suits the smartest. :) They have been around for a while, there's a reason why it is so. ;)

15. Ruryse

The constant low amount of truly smart and creative people versus the rather high amount of bullies puts the whole thing into perspective though. ;) All these different methods of survival.

16. softboober

softboober Active Member

I'm not buying this. Some things don't change at all, like physical properties of things, no matter how much beings like humans change.

17. ListenNighGlint

Maybe they don't change, or not as fast... but the ways they are approached by humans can change. And examples show they keep changing. Not only cause of technology and its guidance... the trends in arts show that humans handled the same things differently at different times.

softboober likes this.
  18. softboober

softboober Active Member

Do you see an increase in the general complexity of all arts? Cause I see the opposite.

19. ListenNighGlint

Hmm, for example there's hyperrealism. It's a recent art form emerged in the 20th century and very complex... :)

softboober likes this.
  20. softboober

softboober Active Member

It is recent and complex, but it's done by projecting photos onto the canvas. It's a technology that wasn't available for van Eyck or Velazquez.