1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sapiosexuality Generally doesn't mean a Preference for Extremely High Intelligence

Discussion in 'Love & Sexuality' started by Ruryse, Jan 5, 2018.

1. Ruryse

Ruryse Active Member

This study reveals the reality about sapiosexuality. For most people who claim to be sexually attracted to high intelligence, it means an attraction to a person with an IQ somewhere around 120, and not higher. Which is not surprising at all, considering how similar people tend to attract each other. This required similarity translates to what they call the communication range (which is roughly 2x the Standard Deviation on any given IQ test).

sapiosexuality.jpg

People with over IQ 135 are not attractive to the average person.

softboober likes this.
  2. softboober

softboober Active Member

Does this mean that if I happen to have a very high IQ and someone finds me attractive, they also have a very high IQ?

ListenNighGlint and Ruryse like this.
  3. Ruryse

Ruryse Active Member

Not necessarily, but there's a good chance that it's the case. It depends on what traits of yours they're attracted to, as well as their own intelligence. I strongly suspect that for people within the communication range, attraction to even physical, especially facial features correlate with the similarity of the levels of their intelligence. Quite simply because that's what we are evolutionarily tuned to, to recognize such similarities as quickly and accurately as possible. That includes visual, auditory etc. cues.

ListenNighGlint and softboober like this.
  4. softboober

softboober Active Member

Sounds promising to me. :p How will I know if she's within communication range just by looking at her though?

Ruryse likes this.
  5. Ruryse

Ruryse Active Member

Why, you use the force, of course. -.- Intuition is the key to it, I believe.

softboober likes this.
  6. softboober

softboober Active Member

[​IMG]

7. ListenNighGlint

ListenNighGlint Active Member

It's still not entirely clear to me why would an average person shoot for someone even in the still very high IQ120 range... doesn't it go against what we've seen in Assortative Mating? Why would anyone want a person who they couldn't effectively communicate with?

Ruryse likes this.
  8. Ruryse

Ruryse Active Member

Probably because these are desirable traits indicating an overall genetic fitness. It's how people in general find facial symmetry attractive, and so they fall for actors or models. Only part of it is celebrity/high status bias, the rest of it is recognizing symmetry as an aesthetic trait. It's basically going for eye candy and in the above case, mind candy.

softboober likes this.
  9. GiantBillyGoatGrowl

GiantBillyGoatGrowl New Member

Intelligent people are more likely to have money. So they may not specifically want an intelligent person but they end up with one.

softboober and ListenNighGlint like this.
  10. ListenNighGlint

ListenNighGlint Active Member

Above a level and up to a point, yes... I can see that. And an IQ around 120 fits that group of people well. High achievers with still plenty of more or less equal peers.

softboober likes this.
  11. GiantBillyGoatGrowl

Personally I clock in around 140 and I don't mind less intelligent partners. I do prefer an intelligent partner but its probably the least important factor and even when it manifests itself, we are talking about a woman with like a 115 or so although I have dated women who had higher IQs than myself and I did find some benefits to it, but also some negatives. I think higher IQ people have their own difficulties and to have to deal with a woman going through such difficulties when I myself have my own to deal with wasn't that great. I kind of like someone a little simpler who I cannot discuss my issues with is great for getting me out of my thought patterns. If I am having some kind of existential thoughts or something very high level going on that is causing me stress, someone who says, "I dont know what you are talking about but have faith it will all work out, lets get ice cream" can help more than someone who can actually discuss it.

Ruryse likes this.
  12. Ruryse

Ruryse Active Member

What were these negatives, besides the obvious HIV one and the slightly more vague scene from the film "Blowup"?

Such stress usually manifests itself as positive to me, and mutual understanding is a reward. But that depends not only on the measured IQ but on her personality as well. I find the highly intelligent yet emotionally warm and sensitive woman with a great sense of humor to be the rarest kind of human being.

13. GiantBillyGoatGrowl

IQ is one of the most limiting traits because high IQ is exponentially more rare for every point. So If you are considering 4 traits and one is IQ, based on pure numbers of the population, to hit the IQ requirement, you most likely will have to make a lot of sacrifices in the other traits you are looking for. If you replace IQ with another trait more normal kind of trait, you will have a much bigger pool of selection which perfectly matches your criteria.

14. Ruryse

Ruryse Active Member

That's exactly what I observed as well. I'm completely okay with making no compromises. If all I want is a green triangle, I won't get distracted by all the colorful circles.

15. softboober

softboober Active Member

Isn't the premise of g factor that most all of these traits correlate with each other significantly? I mean certainly the emotion related traits, gathered under Emotional Intelligence, are 2nd stratum factors of general intelligence. But even if we get to physical traits like height, brain size or boob size... hehe. :p

Ruryse likes this.
  16. GiantBillyGoatGrowl

Boob size correlated to IQ? Please link to study.

softboober and Ruryse like this.
  17. Ruryse

Ruryse Active Member

I remember a couple sites citing a study on this, but it appears to be fake news. From what I've observed, intelligent women are all over the place regarding their level of visible femininity (breast size, waist to hip ratio etc.), but with certain recognizable patters. The more autistic ones tend to be less feminine in at least a couple of body shape related traits than the ones with a more developed emotional side of their personality.

softboober likes this.
  18. softboober

softboober Active Member