1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

People of the West, People of the East

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by Ruryse, May 2, 2017.

1. Reewier

Reewier Member

I personally don't think there's a significant difference between Russians and Americans. They are genetically quite similar, only Russians have generally less money. Give a Russian woman of the same intelligence the same amount of money the average American woman has, and she'll spend it just as happily. She'll also be just as arrogant if that's what she feels like. Same goes about men in general.

What you're seeing is more of a result of a political and economical difference than anything else. I could argue that the higher rate of comfort causes people's behavior to drift towards what can currently be observed in the West. The less dangers there are, be it poverty or war or diseases, the more people end up being the way they are in the US and the likes. It is also something that can happen fast, in just a few decades.

ListenNighGlint and Ruryse like this.
  2. Ruryse

Ruryse Active Member

Okay, where does that come from? Do these difference-waves swim around randomly in time, or are they the result of something?

3. ListenNighGlint

ListenNighGlint Active Member

How about the ones who are not like it? I always cry a bit inside when I come across generalizations like that... :)

Reewier likes this.
  4. Reewier

Reewier Member

I see it as a dynamic balance. It's like weather. One entity increases, other one gets weaker. I guess we could call that random, though it's more chaotic than truly random (is anything truly random in nature?).

Ruryse likes this.
  5. Reewier

Reewier Member

I don't know. They come on this forum to discuss what the other ones do? :p Don't you find most people predictable and easy to categorize? It's not like they care if we make observations like this. It's not going to change their nature.

ListenNighGlint likes this.
  6. ListenNighGlint

ListenNighGlint Active Member

Fair enough... sometimes I wish they did. :)

Ruryse and Reewier like this.
  7. Ruryse

Ruryse Active Member

Okay I see where you're getting at. It's basically like the dynamics of social complex systems. (https://fernandonogueiracosta.files...aneer-bar-yam-dynamics-of-complex-systems.pdf)

It's a good question, because it hints at the paradox situation of something being fully ("truly") random would assume a high(er) degree of predictability.