1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My Religion

Discussion in 'Other' started by fschmidt, May 6, 2017.

1. ListenNighGlint

ListenNighGlint Active Member

Haha! :) You are not too picky about women... ;) Seriously, isn't the Golden Rule an important moral part of most religions, including Christianity? It would be a big difference between your religion and the original one it's based on...

2. fschmidt

fschmidt Active Member

Mikraite is based on the Old Testament, not on Christianity. And the Old Testament doesn't have the Golden Rule. It does have "love your neighbor as yourself" but that only applies to members of your community. Mikraite has the same concept here:

http://www.mikraite.org/3-Help-Each-Other-tp1290.html

ListenNighGlint likes this.
  3. Ruryse

Ruryse Active Member

"What you yourself hate, do that to no one." - Tobit 4:15

4. ListenNighGlint

What kind of internet businesses are they? Domain network?

5. fschmidt

fschmidt Active Member

Apocrypha, not quite Old Testament. Still I would like to see this in Hebrew. Do you know where I can find it?

Ruryse likes this.
  6. fschmidt

fschmidt Active Member

Some will remain my dark secret. But here is one for you:

http://www.singlesushi.com/

7. Ruryse

Ruryse Active Member

8. ListenNighGlint

Ok that's cute! :) I was this close to send myself a message of "hold on, everything's gonna be alright". :)

9. andersonnnunes

andersonnnunes Active Member

There are lots of characteristics of Mikraite that I like. It seems very sensible to me.

The only part I personally take issue with is the fixation on the Old Testament, which is not something that I consider bad, it is just that I am already overly invested on another cultural base (and I would like to see its adherents flourish).

As I understand, both of them hold pretty similar views on ethical issues, with minor differences that should not make the tribe of the former and the adherents of the later turn against each other.

I think I understood the 'sense of life' behind it pretty well on my first encounter with fschmidt's views and later readings only confirmed my guesses.

10. crypticletter

crypticletter Member

It is also the part that makes it hopeless, unless you only want to attract people that are already religious. By now, people have learned to associate all kinds of dated Christian hocus pocus with scam.

11. fschmidt

fschmidt Active Member

Actually none of the people that joined us were religious. The Old Testament repels all members of modern culture including Christians, and that is good.

12. Ruryse

Ruryse Active Member

That could be the initial reaction of many people, but if you get to know @fschmidt a bit better, it's just part of his practicality. He likes to use what really works. If you peel them back, the written rules of most religions are just practical life guides regarding health and morals.

fschmidt likes this.
  13. fschmidt

fschmidt Active Member

Which one?

14. andersonnnunes

I introduced you to it on the other thread: Objectivism.

15. Ruryse

Ruryse Active Member

This study claims that religious children are less altruistic. Here's the article on it. Is this a case of putting the cart before the horse? I mean, isn't it less altruistic people that tend to become religious?

Also, why would a child need to share whatever they have with morons, regardless of whether they're religious or not?

16. andersonnnunes

Hey, I read that the reason you write is to leave a legacy to intelligent moral people of the future. As you are planning for the long range: have you secured the hosting of your personal content for after you have died? (As in, has someone been tasked with making sure your personal (not business) content stays up?)

Whatever the answer, if you make a collection of the stuff you want to distribute, I would like a copy. I like to scrap and hoard the writings of intelligent people. Usually I just point a web-spider at their websites, but as it appears you are making a concerted effort, if you have any material ready, I would rather take it.

I can't promise I would redistribute it, but in case it were needed or wanted, I would not mind passing it further.

17. fschmidt

fschmidt Active Member

Thanks but I don't think I have yet fully earned the right to leave a legacy. First I need to prove the concept of following the Old Testament under another religion (currently Islam). When I have proved the concept, then I will try to make an organized compilation of my writing. Until then, the Mikraite site is good enough.

18. andersonnnunes

About your readings on "if you come across your enemy's stray ox or donkey, you must return it to him": did they include commentaries on intellectual property and security flaws on software?

I only saw three tracks on the linked SoundCloud account and I guess they are not the ones related to that.

For example, if a practitioner of Mikraite hears that security researchers found a flaw on security package X and he knows that his competitor's website uses that package, will he feel inclined to report it? Or if he was monitoring the web to discover if the copy protection of his software was broken and by chance he sees that someone broke the copy protection of a product of his competitor, would he feel inclined to report it? If his competitor has a reward/bounty program, will he refuse any compensation and do it just because?

Last edited: Oct 16, 2017 at 9:29 AM
  19. fschmidt

fschmidt Active Member

That is Exodus 23:4, and I don't see much difference between a stray donkey and flawed software. But like all of these commandments, this applies to members of your community. So the big question is who is part of my community (or as Jesus phrased it, "who is my neighbor")? Certainly not a member of modern culture, so I have no moral obligations to them at all. But whoever I define as members of my community, I must return their stray donkeys and point out the flaws in their software.

20. andersonnnunes

Even if they are a business competitor in the same sector? Even if you paid for the security researchers work as part of your own research and development plans (which you was hoping would give you an edge over the competition)?