1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My Religion

Discussion in 'Other' started by fschmidt, May 6, 2017.

1. fschmidt

fschmidt Active Member

http://www.mikraite.org/

Today being my sabbath, I would like to take this opportunity to evangelize my religion. Sorry but I am not offering any free passes to heaven or the unquestionable absolute truth. I believe in neither heaven nor absolute truth. I believe that the purpose of religion is to provide the framework for a strong moral community, so this is all I offer. If you feel that modern culture is a degenerate mess, as I do, then Mikraite may offer you an alternative. Please feel free to look over our website and post any questions here or there.

stashik-metik and Ruryse like this.
  2. Ruryse

Ruryse Active Member

Does God have a great importance in Mikraite? Do you practice baptism?

3. fschmidt

fschmidt Active Member

We do not practice baptism. We follow the Islamic model of using a declaration to join.

God does have great importance in Mikraite. But God is not necessarily viewed as a sentient being, but is viewed as the sum of all forces in the world. This is described here:

http://www.mikraite.org/God-for-Atheists-tp18.html

The practical result of this is that one must put reality over one's own ideas. Ideas must be tested against the real world before they can be accepted. This is expressed in Isaac Newton's 4th rule of reasoning.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    In experimental philosophy we are to look upon propositions collected by general induction from phaenomena as accurately or very nearly true, notwithstanding any contrary hypotheses that may be imagined, till such time as other phaenomena occur, by which they may either be made more accurate, or liable to exceptions.

This rule we must follow, that the argument of induction may not be evaded by hypotheses.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/The_Mathematical_Principles_of_Natural_Philosophy_(1846)/BookIII-Rules

Newton was a devout Christian, which is why he respected reality enough to look for laws of nature that actually can be verified against reality. This is in contrast to modern Atheists and Liberals who believe in whatever ideas pop into their heads without bothering to test against reality.

Also see: The Enlightenment Is Over

Ruryse and Daniel Delion like this.
  4. stashik-metik

stashik-metik New Member

Jah is strong with ya! How does one join you religion??

5. Daniel Delion

Daniel Delion Member

Quite excellent.

I would call Taoism and Zen Buddhism a pretty good contender in those regards as well.

Ruryse likes this.
  6. stashik-metik

stashik-metik New Member

Ya I can see dat. Jah can be as much as a good deed ya see. It can be food on ya plate, rain after drought or good dream after a seriz of nitemares! Jah iz everywhere, he not just a old man wid white beardz as kids like to think!

7. fschmidt

fschmidt Active Member

I guess one would start by joining our Old Testament readings.

stashik-metik likes this.
  8. stashik-metik

stashik-metik New Member

Dat I know:

Great and manifold are the blessings bestowed upon us the oppressed children of Ethiopia, by His Divine Majesty, Lord God Almighty, King of all mercies, when by his most holy command His divine highness, Christ, Prince of the Heavenly Kingdom, descended and anointed us that we may be prepared to receive these noble men, servants of God and redeemers of Ethiopia's posterities. His honor, Marcus Garvey and colleague, his holiness the shepherd Athlyi, supreme minister of God's Holy Law to the children of Ethiopia, may we show gratitude to our God by being submissive to his teachings through these his humble servants, and submitting ourselves in obedience to his Holy Law that we a suffering people may reap the fruit thereof.

When as it was the intention of others to keep us forever in darkness, by our faithfulness to the Law we shall in time prove to the nations that God has not forsaken Ethiopia.

9. Ruryse

Ruryse Active Member

You're a talented writer, @fschmidt . Your interpretation of that old text is much more humane and insightful than maybe even how it was originally intended to be. What you demonstrate is patient teaching, a harmless live-and-let-live mood.

On a side note, Satoshi Kanazawa finds, as part of his Savanna Principle, that atheism, monogamy and liberal views correlate with higher intelligence, because they are evolutionarily novel: http://personal.lse.ac.uk/kanazawa/pdfs/spq2010.pdf

What he's saying is "General intelligence evolved to solve evolutionarily novel problems, so intelligent people are more likely to acquire and espouse evolutionarily novel preferences and values."

I think that about the only thing he neglects regarding such people bearing higher than average intelligence is the quick adaptation to current conditions. So when there's modern hardcore liberalism everywhere, these people will quickly see through the mindless, sheepish way of how the masses blindly follow these directives, and they'll flip into opposition. Regarding the other two points, slut culture is the opposite of monogamy (or even polygyny) with true and deep emotional connections, so of course it will be frowned upon. When it comes to atheism, I see it as "followers versus leaders". I think at least one kind of highly intelligent people tend to strive to be leaders, even sub-consciously. It's the result of how they prefer to create their very own unique ideas on how they see the world, instead of merely accepting existing concepts and religions. I see Mikraite as such as well.

10. fschmidt

fschmidt Active Member

I skimmed Satoshi Kanazawa's article which is speculative in an academic way. Then I saw this:

"Once again, while present-day hunter-gatherer societies are not the same as our ancestors in every detail, they are our best analogs available to us to study. The fact that polygyny is widespread in such societies..."

This is false. Hunter-gatherer societies are not polygamous, they generally pair off but then cheat on the side. This accounts for the genetic result. In other words, they have marital/social monogamy but not sexual/genetic monogamy. Not distinguishing between the types of monogamy just leads to confusion.

I really don't know if intelligence correlates to monogamy (of any kind), but any study that is based on members of modern culture will flawed because it is specific to modern culture.

Here are 2 good books on this general area:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EGWEYTG/
    https://archive.org/details/b20442580

Liberalism is an ideology, and people with somewhat above average intelligence tend to be more invested in ideologies. People of lower intelligence will ignore ideology and just follow their instincts. These instincts can be harnessed by religion which is more than just ideology. For example, presenting God as the dominant alpha-male is a way of harnessing instinct without the need for ideology. In medieval Europe, Catholicism was the dominant ideology and intelligent people were religious and spent their time debating how many angels fit on the tip of a needle. Even the most intelligent and reasonable people of that time had to present their ideas within the context of a complex Catholic view. For example I think William of Ockham was very intelligent, but I cannot read his writing because the whole thought pattern is so alien (and religious).

Ruryse likes this.
  11. Ruryse

Ruryse Active Member

You're right, hunter-gatherers have low levels of polygyny, except Aboriginals in Australia: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3083418/

At least the ones with any records left. If there were atheists in Europe before the Enlightenment, they were either the minority, or people living in constant fear of getting killed for their views, unlike in Asia (and that's still debatable because of how they make Taoism, Buddhism, Jainism or Hinduism digestible for the majority with all the deities).

That being said, there were a couple groups outside East Asia that were recognized as atheists, like the Greek Sophists or the Epicureans (with or without the above mentioned deities, but with no main creator), people like Ibn al-Rawandi in the Middle East, or certain Icelandic and Norse peoples.

My intuition would have said that religiousness was a heritable trait, but there are no unequivocal findings on this pro or contra. This study says that religiousness was significantly environmental in adolescence, and mostly genetic in adulthood.

12. Ruryse

Ruryse Active Member

That's a very intriguing thought. I would argue that people of both lower and higher intelligence would end up doing so. It's people in the central area indicated on that imaginary bell curve that tend to submit to mainstream ideologies.

13. Daniel Delion

Daniel Delion Member

Rastafari is not exactly Old Testament, but based on it for sure. :)

14. softboober

softboober Active Member

All we need is a SOLAR POWER JESUS BOTTLE.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Jesus is my Hero.

ListenNighGlint, Reewier and Ruryse like this.
  15. Ruryse

Ruryse Active Member

That's the kind of Jesus people dream about. No matter if you try to affect them in a sensible way, like how Mikraite does, they won't remain focused for too long, if at all. There's a reason why society has become the way it is now; people wanted to succumb to this.

16. fschmidt

fschmidt Active Member

These cartoons are completely modern and purely evil. They embrace the primitive and ridicule the sacred. They exemplify the problem with modern culture. People need a sacred religion to respect in order to be civilized. This is the kind of Jesus they need:

ListenNighGlint, Reewier and Ruryse like this.
  17. Ruryse

Ruryse Active Member

How are you going to convince them about it? Most people are not open to aesthetics of any kind. They only consume music because it comes with a lie, an image of coolness and attractiveness.

18. Reewier

Reewier Member

I thought they exemplified those problems for sure, but in a humorous, tongue in cheek way. Reg Mombassa (Chris O'Doherty) would probably fit this forum. In his own words:

"... I'm sort of anxious about the world. I'm more frightened about humans than anything else, I think. They're the most dangerous, and violent, and irrational creatures on the planet, I think."

Ruryse likes this.
  19. ListenNighGlint

ListenNighGlint Active Member

Does Mikraite embrace and follow the Golden Rule?

Ruryse likes this.
  20. fschmidt

fschmidt Active Member

No. Just because I would like an attractive woman to get naked and jump on me doesn't mean that I should get naked and jump on her.

ListenNighGlint likes this.