1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My Diet

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by fschmidt, Jul 22, 2017.

1. fschmidt

fschmidt Active Member

My requirements for a diet: It should be simple. It should be guaranteed to work. And modern doctors should hate it.

My diet: I have a target weight, what I should weigh. At the beginning of every week, I start a zero-calorie fast that doesn't end until I reach my target weight. I usually fast 2 or 3 days each week, but it varies from 1 to 5 days at extremes. The rest of the week I eat whatever I want. All requirements met.

ListenNighGlint and Ruryse like this.
  2. Ruryse

Ruryse Active Member

I don't eat or drink stuff with added sugar, don't consume dairy products (except butter), and don't eat bakery products and potatoes. I eat legumes, grains and nuts only in moderation (because of phytic acid). Except rice and pasta. The rest is good.

ListenNighGlint likes this.
  3. andersonnnunes

andersonnnunes Active Member

Currently I don't have any dietary plan.

Since I got the results of a blood test which indicated I had deficiency of vitamin D (to be expected, as I don't expose myself much to the sun), I bought vitamin capsules. They have only the recommended daily quantities (by conservative standards). Even so, since reading a book¹ about how vitamins are so often sold as an "alternative medicine" and how they are aggressively marketed, I have been considering not buying them anymore.

The ones I bought had the best cost per quantity (considering the local market and the internet) and a brand which made reference to religious elements. They are distributed by the same company that sells a more pricey brand and markets it aggressively by using celebrities and giving random prizes to random buyers.

As far as I could tell, the distributor imports the product from the USA, so even if they are from different brands, the manufacturer is probably the same. Considering that standards for vitamins on the USA appear to be quite lax² and that I could not find convincing testimony in favor of that particular manufacturer, the case for not buying their products seems very compelling. Besides, I hate their marketing plans - even if they manage to have the lowest price, I would rather buy from someone else if possible.

1. Do You Believe in Magic? The Sense and Nonsense of Alternative Medicine
    2. http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/film/supplements-and-safety/

ListenNighGlint likes this.
  4. ListenNighGlint

ListenNighGlint Active Member

Is that healthy? I've read that fasting can lead to diabetes and more body fat... and a constant monitoring of weight causes mental stress as well. :) I've learned that monitoring body fat is more natural because I can feel it in my clothes.

What's wrong with these? :eek:

I've heard of phytic acid, it's a popular topic in paleo diet. :) Some say it's not a good idea to totally avoid consuming it: https://paleoleap.com/phytic-acid-antinutrient/

My multivitamins have the vitamin D covered, but I try to get some sunlight... even in wintertime. :) Not the direct sun in the summer though, it burns me in no time and I never get a tan. :)

Ruryse likes this.
  5. fschmidt

fschmidt Active Member

What is the name of this forum again? I mean think about it, how can fasting possibly lead to diabetes? Makes no sense at all.

Some of the modern fasting ideas like intermittent fasting make no sense to me. Fasting for a day isn't enough to completely shut down the insulin system and to start really burning fat. But 3 days is. My body can easily switch between burning food and burning fat because of my system. And I would bet that virtually no one who fasts regularly gets diabetes because the insulin system gets a rest.

6. ListenNighGlint

It's called Starvation Diabetes, here's the description of the process: Starvation And Diabetes Mellitus :)

Fasting also leads to muscle atrophy, starting after 24 - 48 hours: How Long Can I Fast Before I Start Losing Muscle?

A beautiful example of circular reasoning... :)

Ruryse likes this.
  7. Ruryse

Ruryse Active Member

I didn't want to get diabetic either. As it's turned out, lactose made me really obese for decades, and I didn't want to go down the path of having to make my own trusted bread, etc. either. Potatoes every now and then probably wouldn't hurt much, but I never really cared for them anyway, and rice and some pasta work just perfectly.

I couldn't care less about the paleo hype, I just didn't want to hinder my mineral (calcium) digestion with taking too much phytic acid. Thanks for the link, so it does have some benefits. Good to know.

8. fschmidt

fschmidt Active Member

Your "Starvation Diabetes" means eating carbs right after a fast. This is stupid (and is recommended by modern idiots). After fasting (as always), I eat whatever my body wants. And after fasting, my body does not want carbs. So this is a non-issue.

I would really like to see the study supporting "muscle atrophy" but I would guess that the study would be done on people who don't fast regularly. I know from my own experience that my body learned to handle fasting and it isn't an issue now. I work out when I fast without any problems. So my guess would be that there is some muscle atrophy at the beginning of a fast of people who have no experience fasting, and this is because the body doesn't know how to handle it (doesn't know how to switch to ketosis quickly). I seriously doubt that people who fast regularly experience any muscle atrophy. But if I am wrong, show me the study.

9. ListenNighGlint

So after days of fasting you starve your system even longer. I admire your self-discipline... Inedia would just be one step further. :)

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3302447/

If regular fasting could do magic to muscles as well as the rest of the body, athletes would keep fasting like crazy... but intermittent fasting, which is what you do, is a modern fad for sedentary people.