1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

High intelligence and introversion - do they go hand in hand?

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by Ruryse, Aug 22, 2016.

1. Ruryse

Ruryse Active Member

I get what you're saying, it's just something that doesn't seem to happen in reality. Can you name such people? I can come up with people like Garry Kasparov or Al Gore, both of them reported to be ENTJs, with measured IQ scores in the 120s - 130s, depending on the test. Those are indeed fairly high, yet I can't name any inventions connected to them. Inventiveness just don't seem to be the gift of extraverted people.

Just like intelligence is made up of several factors as well. Both personality and intelligence can be argued forever or said to be forever unclear concepts, it's something that usually happens when individual perception and scientific "objectivity" attempt to merge. If I go by my feelings alone, I can see clearly for myself, but chances are it won't be widely accepted. If I try to put together something that's scientifically acceptable, (my view of) reality might gets corrupted and over-abstracted in the process.

That's what I was probing for. Introverted people clearly still have a desire for kinship, only it happens to be harder for them to find mates they can connect with on a deeper level. Or is it intelligent people who end up being lonely? Or are these two things interchangeable? Can an extroverted person whose major trait is to thrive on socialization feel lonely (for any serious amount of time)? I don't think they can. My premise (and that of many other people who researched this) was that intelligent people do end up being lonely most of the time. From then on you can make the connection yourself regarding extraversion. :)

Check out how extraverts and introverts are clearly different in handling and reacting to stimuli:

It would be quite hard to mistake an extravert for an introvert when carefully measured and monitored the above way, so while we can paint theoretical characters, some of them will turn out to be unrealistic ones, like the non-socializing extravert you keep proposing. It also kind of puts an end to the now rather popular fad of how certain people like to label themselves as "introverted extravert" or "extraverted introvert".

2. Daniel Delion

Daniel Delion Member

Even that, asocial extrovert, sounds like a paradox to me. :) I'm not sure many people would actually care, but the ones who did would certainly qualify such person as an introvert. I sure would.

Reewier likes this.
  3. Reewier

Reewier Member

Here's an article on how Introversion is an expected trait of a genius. However, the self-report tests with their focus on situation and behavior fail to differentiate between genuine introversion and a more general inactivity, lack of motivation and drive. The higher default state of mental arousal is not usually present to the same extent in the latter case.

A similar problem is present when trying to measure Neuroticism with self-report inventories. While true neuroticism would impair a genius, in reality, they need to score relatively high on the Neuroticism scale as well, as it indicates emotional sensitivity. The usual questionnaires cannot distinguish between such emotional sensitivity and a personality that's simply easy to trigger by negative emotions.

The writer of the blog is professor Bruce G. Charlton. He's got many interesting blogs with topics we have discussed here, for example:

Decline of the West Explained

Thought Prison: the fundamental nature of Political Correctness

Not even trying: the corruption of real science

The Genius Famine: Why we need geniuses, Why they’re dying out, and Why we must rescue them

Speculations of a Theoretical Mormon

andersonnnunes and Ruryse like this.
  4. Daniel Delion

Daniel Delion Member

I've stumbled upon this video, comparing bright children with gifted kids:

From 5:05 on: "If they're highly gifted in the range of like 145 and above on an IQ scale, they tend to be more introverted than extroverted."

softboober and Ruryse like this.
  5. Ruryse

Ruryse Active Member

That's a good one and not at all surprising. I wonder where she would put Asperger's kids, and what the ratios between them and the rest of the gifted children are.

Daniel Delion likes this.
  6. Daniel Delion

Daniel Delion Member

This article includes a comparison table between aspergeric gifted and non-aspergeric gifted children. The differences in motor functions and humor are interesting.

softboober likes this.
  7. softboober

softboober Active Member

Ok so do you think that between AS and non-AS it's a continuous spectrum, or is it one or the other? The Eysenck vid above showed how the range between Extraversion and Introversion wasn't exactly continuous either. You either strongly gravitate towards one end or the other.