1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are Mind and Body independent from each other?

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by stashik-metik, Oct 20, 2016.

1. stashik-metik

stashik-metik New Member

So I've bin readin dis artikel of dis very problem about body n mind and tho't we cud discuss it more in deff: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mind–body_problem

Ya know there's lotsa spiritual teachings sayin the body and da mind are diff'rent, sep'rate entities, but in my humbel oppinien they're da product of da same whole nature and inseparable. Whatz mind if no just a complex seriez of electrik signalz bein generat'd in da brain? Whatcha think?

mind-body-problem.gif

Iz der really dualizm? http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/dualism

crypticletter and softboober like this.
  2. softboober

softboober Active Member

I personally don't believe in them being separate things from each other. It just doesn't seem to be logical from looking at how other things work. If someone eat bad or takes up drugs, they alter their physical shape, and that will result in an altered mental state as well. And same goes for a positive change as well. Getting good sleeps, taking up good habits result in not only a positive change in one's physical state but in their mental one, too. And also, if you kill a being, even unintentionally, they die. Where does this mind, or soul go then? Some say it lives on and all kinds of mysterious stuff, but could anyone detect it, or is it just a belief?

stashik-metik likes this.
  3. crypticletter

crypticletter Member

The problem with all this, only the mind can perceive and think. Think about the body, the mind or anything else. How can you make a proper observation when you are trying to observe the very thing you are observing with?

stashik-metik likes this.
  4. stashik-metik

stashik-metik New Member

Ya both are gettin sumwhere wid it. I waz thinkin if der were mindz flyin round on der own, dey wud somehow be detectable ya know?! But of course der are people beli'vin in dat very thing, but kud dese flyin mindz change anything in da world? Or dey were just tho'ts in people'z minds? ;)

5. Daman

Daman New Member

It is possible that it is just the brain which is perceiving and thinking.

Ruryse likes this.
  6. Ruryse

Ruryse Active Member

Practically, there's no doubt about it.

7. fschmidt

fschmidt Active Member

It's just software and hardware. But unlike computer software which is easily transferable, biological software is encoded in the synaptic structure, so it is tied to the hardware.

Ruryse likes this.