1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone still using Newsgroups/Usenet?

Discussion in 'Technology' started by andersonnnunes, Nov 18, 2017.

1. andersonnnunes

andersonnnunes Active Member

Any suggestion of active newsgroups (Usenet text groups, old tech) not dominated by spam and with healthy discussions?

Last edited: Nov 18, 2017
    Ruryse likes this.
  2. Ruryse

Ruryse Active Member Staff Member

I've never used them, what are the benefits of using these?

3. andersonnnunes

4. Ruryse

Where can I read his answer?

5. andersonnnunes

Wait to see if he replies to this thread?

Ruryse likes this.
  6. Ruryse

Yes.

From what I can see from the link you posted, he noticed how certain companies took control over internet discussions and sort of monopolized it. Google ranks its own business partners high in search results, and a great amount of online conversation activity previously present on internet forums and bulletin boards got replaced by Facebook discussions. And once they appeared there, their quality and focus have dropped as well.

But what @fschmidt offers is his own control. He ensures us that he's got all the monetary resources to fight all these big companies alone, which is already questionable.

In my opinion, the problem lies not in the software itself, but whoever has control over it. Whoever controls the biggest parts of the internet will dictate where and how online discussions will take place. And one can't revolt against the internet on the internet.

7. fschmidt

fschmidt Active Member

It has been a long time since I used Usenet, so I can't comment on it, but obviously it is no longer popular. I should study the Usenet protocol though, to see if it has any useful ideas.

Does Tim Berners-Lee control the Web? And how much money did he need to have the Web beat CompuServe and AOL? I think you are missing the point of what I wrote.

Ruryse likes this.
  8. Ruryse

Companies like Google control the majority of the web. They can afford great number of programmers and advanced technology to create software that alters search rankings the way they want. With that comes power; they can afford methods to battle competition, both online and offline.

9. andersonnnunes

I understand the benefits of the protocols you wish that existed.

For example, I have a userscript to hide posts by certain users that only works on XenForo. I would have to write a similar script for every different forum software if I wished to have that functionality extended to multiple communities, but a script for that would be too complex, with too many breaking points. With federated networks, it would be far simpler. In the Usenet case, one could use a single 'kill file' to filter posts on every community, because they all followed the same specification.

To create protocols like these is a good objective.

I don't know much about CompuServe and AOL, so I don't know if there is some great insight that I am missing.