1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AI composes music like the Beatles - just to sound like XTC

Discussion in 'Art, Music, Entertainment' started by Ruryse, Aug 29, 2017.

1. Ruryse

Ruryse Active Member

Have you heard about Flow Machines yet? The Paris based Sony Computer Science Laboratories (Sony CSL) created Artificial Intelligence that can compose music in the style of any artist. Just input the songs you want it to analyze, enter the required length and off you go. They have examples of Bach, Miles Davis and a couple others.

Here's their take on The Beatles:

It's almost there, but not quite. To my ears it's way more Andy Partridge (of XTC) than it is Lennon-McCartney, but XTC was influenced by the Beatles big time, so it's all good. Kinda.

flow-machines-andy-partridge.jpg

2. ListenNighGlint

ListenNighGlint Active Member

softboober and Ruryse like this.
  3. Ruryse

Ruryse Active Member

That would reveal they work with real composers. Just kidding. They'll probably come out with apps and/or devices you can buy. It's Sony, after all.

ListenNighGlint likes this.
  4. softboober

softboober Active Member

It's not horrible. Lol. Note that all that music was composed by Benoît Carré, and they don't go in detail regarding how it's happened. So it still wasn't composed entirely by the machine. N00bs. :p

Daniel Delion likes this.
  5. Daniel Delion

Daniel Delion Member

I liked the tune. While I get the reference to the later Beatles era, it does sound more like XTC and the likes. Probably because the artist's voice is not one of the Beatles, which we've grown so familiar with. I bet if they used snippets of Lennon's real vocal tracks without paying attention to intelligibility of the lyrics, it would have sounded more like the Beatles.

Confusing. The title of the video states it's a song composed by Artificial Intelligence, yet on this page, it says Benoît composed the songs with the help of AI, and the part from 1:41 in the video occurs in the example titled "From the Beatles" (3rd one), from 0:28 on. If this algorithm is so good, why do people need to mix and match these snippets, and why use the exact same part over and over?

softboober and Ruryse like this.
  6. Ruryse

Ruryse Active Member

Good ears! That part you mention is very similar to this part of a McCartney song "Pipes Of Peace", from 1:16 on, with two notes swapped.

On the page you linked to, it claims they only used Beatles songs, 45 of them, not ex-Beatle penned ones.

softboober and Daniel Delion like this.
  7. Daniel Delion

Daniel Delion Member

Well spotted. More tunes with less re-used motifs would be more convincing, as well as a demonstration of the AI itself.

softboober likes this.