1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Absolute Truth

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by MermaidFairy, Oct 16, 2016.

1. Hailey

Hailey Member

Truth is absolute. One person coming to a different conclusion then another person does not change the fact there is only one ultimate truth. Saying that truth is subjective is confusing truth with opinions.

I have rarely claimed to know anything for certain. I can tell you however, that after years of work I have come to conclusions or rather probabilities of what is true and what is certainly not true.

The only way to come to an ultimate truth is through reason, logic and mathmatics. Anything that I conclude through any other means, I could never call a certain truth. I think it is absolutely possible to answer lifes big questions of existance using reason, logic and mathematics. I'm currently working on that but I've not accomplished it quite yet! Maybe one day!

ListenNighGlint likes this.
  2. ListenNighGlint

ListenNighGlint Active Member Staff Member

Is the latter part of the ultimate truth, or a subjective opinion...? :)

3. Hailey

Hailey Member

If I'm not understanding the question, let me know! Here's my answer however....

I can prove that logic, reason and mathematics is the only way to find an absolute truth.

This is because truth must be assumed to be logical, reasonable and mathematical. If it were not assumed that it were, there would be no reason to try to find a truth in the first place. Were the truth not completely logical, reasonable and mathematical, that truth could not exist.

Reason, logic and mathematics do not require the senses, which are flawed. Likewise, emotions, visions and the like can prove nothing for certain. Reason, logic and mathematics are completely stable. 1+1 always equals 2 for instance. Another example is that a circle can not be a square. Or that a contradiction can not exist. These are absolute truths, and with these types of truths as a foundation, other similar truths can be incorporated.

Anything but this method can never find the truth, except perhaps by luck, but if absolute truths were found by luck, then no one would be able to prove that they were in fact absolute truths.

4. Ruryse

Ruryse Active Member Staff Member

This is small truth. Small truth comes from thinking, Big Truth is pre-thinking. Small truth is useful when solving problems, it's knowledge. If one's small truth is similar to another person's small truth, they will understand each other, they'll get along well.

There's no small truth without the I. The pebble in the river doesn't keep counting how many times it's farted against the riverbed.

Note that everything I wrote above is also small truth. Everyone and everything and their small truths are part of Big Truth.

The existence of small truth is true, the non-existence of Big Truth is also true. Big Truth includes everything and the opposite of everything.

Hailey likes this.
  5. Hailey

Hailey Member

Edited... nevermind on first part. You understood me. I re read it.

Are you implying that nothing or zero contains it's opposite which is infinity? That everything exists because it does not exist? If yes, I would have to agree that 'big truth' exists as well as not. Now the only question left in my mind is, whether each 'zero' has its own form? Or maybe each 'zero' has many forms, which are all expressions of that one zero? That's getting of topic however so I'll stop there!

What do you mean when you say 'pre thinking?'

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
    Ruryse likes this.
  6. Ruryse

Those are all good images to get there, you're good at writing your own koans. They are all thoughts.

I especially like this one:

When there's only a single thought on one's mind, one can become very focused.

Abandon that single thought.

Hailey likes this.
  7. Hailey

Hailey Member

I've been drawing sketches of these cosmogony in order to hopefully have some intuition on this. I think part of intuition goes back to eternity. If I could only remember the truth.

All truths learned are re- learned. Do you agree with this statement? It could be possible to come to truth in this way, through intuition I suppose. I used to meditate and have had visions 'lie to me'. Assuming that was my subconscious I hope I would recognize the truth.

I used to be a hard core essentialist but I'm lost now.

I don't expect you to give me the answer, but do you think you know, or do you know the answer to it?

Ruryse likes this.
  8. Ruryse

The more of them you draw, the closer you get to your own way of thinking. Be careful, or you become an artist without noticing it (you probably already are).

Everything that requires learning is knowledge. Is truth knowledge? What did the rock learn to be part of truth?

The aim of meditation is to let thoughts like visions go, without grasping on them or interacting with them. The next time a vision like that appears, just watch as it stuffs a fresh roll of toilet paper in its mouth, while politely waving farewell.

I can give you an answer to anything, we can help each other to solve problems with answers we know, or just do it for the joy it brings. When you want to rest, cut all questions and answers. That is Truth.

Hailey likes this.
  9. ListenNighGlint

Again, is your proof part of this absolute truth, or a subjective opinion? :)

10. Hailey

Hailey Member

Even though my experiences are subjective as are any other persons, there are certain things that must exist in their subjective experience the same as mine assuming that person is a 'mind' rather then solipsism.

If a person besides myself exists as a separate mind, math must be included in their experience because even zero is something for instance the cancellation of negative and positive. So they must be able to rely on this in their experience.

Their subjective reality must be based on logic and reason just as mine is. Reality can only exist in the most efficient way possible, the most simple. It can not be different for anyone else. I can't make sense of it any other way in my mind.

I think it's absolute, just not the truth that's my goal. It's possible I could change my mind at some point though.

11. ListenNighGlint

Because if not, then...? :)